CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, October 7, 2010

When To Start Solid Food

So my pediatrician told me I could start solid food this month.  However, I am really not a fan of this idea.  I think that since I am breastfeeding exclusively, my son is getting all the nutrition he needs from me.  I told him that I was going to wait until 6 months to introduce any solid food and he was fine with that.  However, I started to wonder, why he was recommending I start solid foods already when he is doing just find on breast milk.  So off I went to research and do some fact finding.

I found some very interesting information and I was pleased to know that I have made the right decision for my son.  As far as solid food goes within the first year of life, it's really about teaching and experiencing food.  There is no nutritional value to the feedings, its about learning to eat, chew, swallow, gum and not choke on their food.  Babies do not have to have solid food until after their first birthday.

Now, I'm not saying that I am going to make him wait until he is one, but I love the feeling of knowing I can hold off and wait as long as I feel necessary.  It's important to me that I don't introduce food too quickly and possibly increase the chances of allergy's.  I am also excited to know that while I have chosen to make my own baby food, not all the food has to be mashed up into a mushy yucky paste.  Food is so much more exciting when it has texture to it. 

Anyways, I just had to vent about this since I feel introducing solid food at such an early age is wrong.  Don't get me wrong, I love that my pediatrician is so good with my son, but I also think that we as parents have to make the best decisions for our children.  And for me that is listening to the doctor and then going with my gut.  Isn't that why we are allowed to get second and third opinions when we are told we are sick? 

No comments:

Post a Comment