Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Yard Sale Success

So the yard sale last weekend was a huge success!  I of course had been collecting things and pricing them over a few weeks, but for a few hours of work on a Saturday morning we did really well.  My husband and I got up around 5:30am thinking that would give us enough time to wake up, get dressed, and get all our stuff out to the driveway by 7am.  WRONG!  We had a lady show up at 6:15am.  We had only a few thing out there, everything was still in boxes, and she wanted to know if she could start looking.  I was SHOCKED to say the least.  I asked if she could wait a few minutes, but she insisted on helping "HELPING" unpack.  But in the end it was find she ended up spending $40.00.  So that started our morning out.  By 7:00am we hadn't even unpacked everything, but we had made over $100.00.  I think I finally got everything out of the boxes like I wanted them, by 7:45am. 

People seemed to come in groups and leave in groups.  It was like they were following each other from sale to sale.  So we would have a surge of people and then nothing for a few minutes.  It was like this all morning until we finally packed up what was left at 12:30pm.  And that was only because we had some late comers who were sifting through what we had left.  They ended up spending about $8 on stuff I was just going to toss so I was happy with that.

It was funny to meet so many different people.  We had several groups of Hispanic families.  All the kids were doing the bargaining.  They would ask for a certain price, I would come up from that, they would talk to their parents, come back with another price, and then finally we would come to a price we agreed on.  Others were willing to pay exactly what I had priced the item at, some wanted things for far less than what I had priced it at and they would just walk away when I said I was willing to bargain with them. 

Others were quite in their wheeling and dealing with me, some were excited when they found something fun for so cheap.  People had many questions about why we were selling our house and so many of our things.  Their were people who wanted to stand around and talk... sometimes for what seemed like forever.  Others wanted to get in and out as quickly as possible, almost like they were on a race or something.  We had drive-bys, neighbors walk through, and people who would ask for specific things.  I haven't had a yard sale in quite sometime, and it was so much fun.

Jack was so well behaved.  He woke up sometime around 7am.  He came out with us and hung out.  He slept some, played in his pack and play, smiled at the shoppers, and even played peak-a-boo with a few people.  He nursed, ate breakfast, and even played with a few neighbors that stopped by.  I was so impressed with him and how well he did all morning long.  I am so grateful to have such a wonderful little boy.

So all in all, we made out really well.  I think we made enough to pay for our gas and hotels from here to Washington state when we drive across country this winter.  Well, that is if the gas stops rising at the rate it's going right now.

If you haven't had a yard sale in a while, give it a try. It can be an entertaining Saturday morning for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment