CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Are You Still Breastfeeding?

Why do I keep getting this question, "Are you still breastfeeding?"  I have had many people ask me this question.  It started about 2 weeks after my son was born and I really didn't understand why they would be asking me this question.  Yes, the first few weeks are painful, yes I wondered to myself what was I doing wrong, when would the pain go away, but I never wanted to stop breastfeeding.  I have always wanted to be a mom and when I found out I had PCOS (Poly Cystic Ovary Syndrome) I thought I was never going to have children.  However, with the help of some fertility drugs and a wonderful husband who helped me from losing my mind we were able to have a beautiful baby boy.  However, during my pregnancy my midwife informed me that some women with PCOS are unable to produce enough milk for the baby.  So I was mentally prepared for some difficulty but crossed my fingers that I wouldn't have any.  During the past three months I have had mastitis twice and that does make me second guess my choice, but only because of how painful the infection is.  I know which time and medicine the infection will go away and so will the pain.  I have been breastfeeding exclusively for 3 months and 7 days now and plan to continue. 

It breaks my heart when I hear of a woman who wanted to breastfeed was not able to, or wasn't given enough support.  However, I don't think that any woman should ever feel that they have failed if they were unable to make breastfeeding work for them and their baby.  In a perfect world we would all be able to have babies without any problems, we would all be able to breastfeed without any problems and we would all feel comfortable feeding in public.  But this isn't a perfect world and we should all do our part to support those around us in anyway we can. 

Yes, I am still breastfeeding.

No comments:

Post a Comment