CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, January 3, 2011

We Have Started Solid Foods

So I had been going back and forth about starting solid foods.  The doctor was pushing, my husband was pushing, and others kept asking what he was eating.  I was holding back, not because I didn't want to feed him new foods, but because I didn't think he was ready.  I have to say I was really not ready for the nasty diapers either.  Anyways, December 18th, 2010 Jack had his first food.  Sweet Potato Fries!  He loved them!  I made them in the oven with just a little olive oil.  He gummed them, since he didn't have any teeth yet and seemed to really be enjoying them.  He did very well and only gagged a few times.  I think it was just a little hard to be swallowing something other than milk.

Since then Jack has tried many new things.  Here is a list of what he has tried, loved, and refused.  By the way, I skipped baby food and cereal and went straight to soft finger foods and he is loving it.

Loves - Sweet Potato Fries, Bananas, Avocado, Rice, Carrots. Crackers, Bread, Regular Fries, Rice Puffs

Won't Try - Peas

Tried - Green Beans, Apples, Mashed Potatoes

He loves to pick everything up and feed it to himself.  This of course makes a huge mess, but it makes it possible for my husband and I to eat at the same time.  Yes, food is in the hair, nose, yes, and all over the face and body.  But I have to say he really enjoys doing it himself.  He is learning how to pick things up, big and small which are great gross motor skills.  He has got the thumb and pointer finger pinch really well.

I guess we will keep exploring new foods and creating big messes.  Life is messy, especially with kids!  Enjoy the time you have, as time flies by when you are enjoying life.

No comments:

Post a Comment